Friday, September 24, 2010

What Shall I Say?

I want to encourage you. I want to love you all the way Jesus does. I want to be there for you, to listen. But there are so many of you. So many people who need to be loved. I am weak. But He is strong. So Praise God for His body, for the collection of believers who He can use to reach others. I'm thankful I can trust all those people, all of you, to Him.

But I won't give up on people. By His strength, I will learn to love better and better. I will live to encourage and help others. But only by His strength.

Philippians 2:1-4

1 Therefore if there is any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any affection and mercy,

2 fulfill my joy by being like-minded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.

3 Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself.

4 Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others.



Someone asked me this week, after hearing these verses, "What is humility?"

"The opposite of arrogance, I guess," I said. "Jesus was humble." It got me thinking.

Humility is not something we can put on ourselves. Although the Bible does say, "Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord."(James 4:10) But it seems to me that it's possible to want to be humble so that other people see how humble we are, and are proud of us. The root desire in this seeking of humility is actually pride!! That's not the kind of humility I want.

I want to be humble the Jesus way.

Philippians 2:8-11

8And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.

9 Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name,

10that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth,

11 and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.


Could I do that? Could I humble myself to the point of death? Definitely not on my own. That's why I'm sure I need a God-sized remedy.

Jesus, please humble me!! Make me more like You.

2 comments:

  1. Amen, humility is so crucial but so challenging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Humility is at times hard to express. You can't just tell everyone, "I'm the humblest person you've ever know." You must portray Christ's love. Human love seems like it always comes with ulterior motives.

    Also, (just to humble you a bit) the Bible verses spoke to me more than anything else you said. Thanks for your use and depth in Scripture! I Peter 5:5-7

    ReplyDelete