Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Life Thoughts: Stress Struggle

Grrr. My face screws into a look of agony and stress and I grasp my head in my hands with much tension. What to do! What not to do! Today I didn't exercise, so I need to do that with my sister tomorrow. Then I skipped the shower today too, so I could get at other things. So that shouldn't be skipped tomorrow. But I also didn't spend much time at work today, so I need to get some hours in there, but when I have breakfast at 8:30, then if I exercise and have a devotion time and a shower, oh yeah, and then there's laundry, then I will hardly have time to work before lunch time, and then I have to leave in the afternoon to meet someone, and then I still haven't gotten around to organizing those files for that volunteer position for the registered music teachers organization, and then I failed at reaching my goals on my music project this week, when will I do that? and we're leaving for a camping trip this weekend, so maybe Mom would like some help with baking...

Hang on.

In the middle of my mental rant, I realized something. I was feeling stressed because I was wanting to do the impossible. I wanted to get lots of sleep, and accomplish a ton of things before work in the morning, and still have time for that work before lunch. So what's the truth here?

The truth is that I am blessed with a flexible schedule right now. The truth is that I am human, and I have to make choices about how I spend my time. I can't do everything at once, and thus I must admit my weaknesses and live with them. God works well through weaknesses. Never has He told me that I have to exercise, do devotions, laundry, admin work, shower, etc. before 9:30 when I get up at 8:30 and eat Breakfast with the family for 30 minutes first. But He has told me not to worry about tomorrow, and to serve whole-heartedly at whatever I am doing.

So, I will ask Him for wisdom, do my best to decide what should be done when, and not stress about the things that aren't getting done yet. In the big picture, what does it matter if I miss laundry for a few days? Do my best, let go of the rest. And if, in the overall picture of my life, I keep running into this kind of situation, perhaps I have committed to too many things, and I need to back out of some responsibilities so that I can do my best at the ones I have. I'm willing to do that. I'm willing to do whatever it takes to serve you, Jesus, with my life. Thank you for promising me wisdom! I'm excited to see what You'll do in my life tomorrow...

1 comment:

  1. Amen, I fully resonate with what you are describing here! That's why I love this verse so much,
    "But thanks be to God, who in Christ always leads us in triumphal procession, and through us spreads the fragrance of the knowledge of him everywhere." 2 Cor 2:14

    ReplyDelete